Model Information

Started by Tranquility Bass, October 20, 2023, 03:05:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tranquility Bass

DAL Cantata

The task of designing an efficient, "pulse-coherent" loudspeaker with an extremely flat frequency response and tight, low-end bass has traditionally required either a very large sealed enclosure or a smaller, ported enclosure that produced boomy-sounding bass.

However, DAL's research staff have succeeded in designing the CANTATA(TM), a visually attractive loudspeaker of relatively small size that reproduces tight, low-end bass (down only -4 dB at 20 Hz). The anechoic-chamber response of the CANTATA(TM) meets a tight, guaranteed +/- 1 dB spec from 35 Hz to 20 kHz at 10-ft. (on-axis/anechoically). And, with a sensitivity rating of 90 dB (re: 1 meter on-axis), almost any high-quality audiophile amplifier, with a power rating exceeding 40 watts, will be adequate to drive the CANTATA(TM) to a very loud 106 dB SPL on peaks.

Imagine - all of this from a loudspeaker of modest size, with an unusually attractive appearance and outstanding "build-quality" - at a suggested retail price low enough to comfortably accommodate most tight budgets. Indeed, DAL sincerely believes the CANTATA(TM) to be without peer with respect to quality and performance among loudspeakers of comparable size and price.

So! If you have been waiting for a visually elegant loudspeaker of relatively small size, with virtually flawless reproduction and an affordable price tag, you owe it to yourself to audition the CANTATA(TM) at your favorite DAL dealer.

CANTATA(TM) is a Registered Trademark of DAL

FREQUENCY RESPONSE:35-20,000 Hz, +/- 1 dB. Minus 4 dB at approximately 20 Hz. (Measured on- axis at a distance of 10-12 feet within a large anechoic chamber.)
SENSITIVITY:Approximately 90dB SPL (ref: 1 meter, on-axis) for an input level of 2.83 Volts RMS.
IMPEDANCE:Nominal 4 ohms (3 ohms minimum and 7 ohms maximum)
PULSE-COHERENCE:An impulse response equal to or better than most top-of-the-line CD players and Digital Processors.
RADIATION PATTERNS:Precisely symmetrical in both horizontal and vertical planes (above about 80 Hz.).
DIFFRACTION DISTORTION:Virtually eliminated by the use of efficient sound-absorbing material on all relevant surfaces. (US Patent #4,167,985)
DRIVERS:- One 10", hi-performance, carbon-fiber, "down-firing" woofer
          - Two 6-1/2" bass/mids
          - One 1" dome tweeter.
RECOMMENDED AMPLIFIER POWER:Minimum of 40 watts/channel into 8 ohms (for maximum enjoyment of the loudspeakers dynamic range)
RECOMMENDED LISTENING DISTANCE AND ROOM SIZE:8 to 12 feet, on axis, in a room not smaller than about 12 feet by 18 feet.

SIZE:52" high by 12" square with a 16" square base
WEIGHT:Approximately 85 pounds (each), incl. base
GRILL:-Frame: Acoustically transparent, precision machined steel frame.
          -Cloth: Acoustically transparent black weave
MATERIAL:Veneered MDF, varying in thickness from 3/4" to 1.5". The internal volume is optimally filled with high-quality open-cell foam to achieve appropriate absorption and damping of internal acoustical energy.
FINISHES:Standard: light or black Oak. Also available in Dalwood Rose, Cherry, etc. at a slight additional cost.

Tranquility Bass

From Retearl of OzHifi.net

QuoteI have a pair of Cantatas & they are magnificent in my 25x40 ft room. They were a gift to me from John Dunlavy's daughter here in Colorado Springs. They were the ones he took home when he sold the company & retired. They will always be special to me since I have been a John Dunlavy admirer since he started the company here. He was likely the most talented scientist & engineer who has ever designed speakers! Truly! 30 years later, they can hold their own against ANY other speaker for accuracy & realism. I'm a blessed man!

IMG_0274.jpg