DAC DSD128/11289 dsf noise problem

Started by dch53, October 07, 2024, 11:27:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dch53

Hi.
It's been a while since I last played DSD128 (2x) Bitrate 11289 dsf files. Whenever that was, they played fine through my UP.

Now I'm getting a lot of noise with the music, that starts before the music actually starts. It's like playing an old 78rpm record. DAC Lock is ON.

I'm using Firmware Update - 240524-1836.

I've attached a picture of the display which looks as it should.

DSD256 is fine as is DSD64. The problem is just with DSD128.

Nothing has changed at in the PC/Jriver end and I get the same result with foobar2000.

I discovered the problem while I was testing a music server I'm building for someone else.

Any suggestions please?

Tranquility Bass

Are you using UP1 or UP2 ?

Also can you grab a screen shot of the version info ie [Main Menu] -> [Setup] -> [Status] -> [Version Info]

dch53

Thanks for the reply. It's a UP1 and the version information is attached.

Tranquility Bass

The good news is I think I have tracked it down. It was a timing issue that was fixed in the Rubidium CPLD for the UP2/UPP and not for the UP1. My UP1 would play DSD64 and DSD128 but not DSD256 so I traced it down and fixed it and now it works for all three formats. The bad news is you'll have to send me your DSP board as I will have to reflash the CPLD and can't be done using a firmware upgrade. If you are willing to pay for the postage I will do this at no charge and test it thoroughly. The last board that was sent to me from Croatia I was able to send it back using the local postal service without paying an arm and a leg for it using one of the major couriers ;)

dch53

Thanks. Is that the board shown in the attached picture?

Just to be sure, DSD128 used to work fine. DSD64 and DSD256 still do.\

Tranquility Bass

Yes it's a UP1 and the mod to the CPLD seems to have fixed it so let me know if you want to send your board to me. ;)

dch53

Yes I would like to send it to you. I'm in the middle of testing a music server I'm building for my brother though so I'll wait until I've finished that.

I'll email you when I'm ready.